Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Eating Dessert First!


Hello “QUESTING: boston” Readers! I was so pleased to be a “guest quester,” due in part to the fame it is sure to bring, but also (mostly) because I knew even if the gelato disappointed, the company definitely would not.


After deciding that yes, even with my Type A personality, I could eat dessert before dinner, I set out with Kday and Melanie to Sapori di Napoli, but, as Kaitlyn mentioned, it was closed. Fortunately, we were in the North End, where there is no shortage of gelato!


We headed across the street to Napoli Pasty, where we were able to select from many brightly-colored flavors! I debated trying one of the fruity selections, but after Kaitlyn chose turtle, I decided to select a flavor that also included chocolate so that I would not have “gelato-envy.” The scoops got progressively bigger as the scooper-man filled our cups, so Melanie, having selected last, ended up with a huge scoop!


My oreo gelato had a good ratio of oreo chunks to cream and the little plastic spoon moved well through the gelato. (I was told by the expert questers that this is a sign of authentic gelato.) There were a few ice chunks in my gelato, but for $2.50, this was a flaw with which I could definitely deal.


The most impressive thing about this gelato experience was definitely the enormous chunk of salty fudge that comprised about 75% of Melanie’s scoop. As we chatted about bar passage rates (there’s no way we are going to be part of the 9% of “Passachusetts” bar takers that fail, right?) we attempted to tackle the salty fudge chunk, but alas, even between the three of us we could not finish it.


Thank you, Kaitlyn and Melanie for allowing me to crash the gelato quest – I hope I can score an invitation to join you on your third quest!

1 comment:

  1. Bringing back good memories of the outrageous quantity of gelato that I consumed during my time in the old country! Keep eating that gelato. No matter what they say, any form of ice cream is always good for your health!

    ReplyDelete