Monday, January 30, 2012

Moving right along!

I don't have any pictures of the kitchen today (sorry!) but we're making progress, even if it's not photo-worthy!

The cabinets (American Woodmark Reading in Linen Maple finish) and countertops (Home Depot granite in Azul Platino) are on order!  After a very, very long Friday evening full of technology failures, we finally put the order in, just in time to get all the awesome deals on the cabinets.

American Woodmark cabinets are "semi-custom." As far as I can tell, this means they only make certain sizes and colors (i.e., they are not custom) but don't have any warehouse space (like Ikea) so they make 'em when you order 'em.  Our cabinets will arrive at our door in about three weeks unless we tell them to slow that timeline down.  We have house guests (mom and dad!) coming in early March, so I think we'll likely tell Woodmark to hold onto our file for a few weeks so we're not playing the renovation game while my parents are in town.

We also decided to go with HD's granite.  I had a good lead on $35/sq. foot granite, which beats HD's sale price by $10 per square foot, but the guy had some terrible Yelp reviews.  I'm not one to put too much stock in a few negative reviews, but most reviews were really bad - like, "they installed the granite and it cracked down the middle and then they refused to fix it for three months" bad.  Also, I called twice and he never called me back, which doesn't bode well.  We're just not going there.  

We are working with HD's installation folks to get a bid together for cabinet installation.  Although I'm quite confident in our DIY abilities, I'm certain that hanging heavy, expensive, cabinets on a wall so they don't look storm-tossed like our current cabinets is a job best left to the pros.  Also, if we do it wrong and the cabinets fall off the wall, we will have broken cabinets, damaged walls, and shattered plates/cups/etc. Furthermore, HD insures all their installation work directly and if anything goes wrong I can call Jose, who will fix it.  All of this makes my little risk-averse heart sing.  If they give us a good price, I'm all over it.

So that's that.  Sorry for the wordy, boring post.  Have a good week, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Not boring! We are hoping to eventually re-do our kitchen and will probably go with HD. Watch out, Mel, because I will be wanting even more gory details about your kitchen remodel if that is the way we go! I love hearing about the process :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I found your blog googling "American Woodmark Reading Maple Linen" because I'm considering ordering this cabinet for my kitchen reno as well. The only thing I'm unsure of is the slight "seam" at the corners of the doors that were visible on the display cabinet (the Maple Linen finish). I'm wondering if this seam "show through" was due to wear and tear since it's display cabinet, and if brand new cabinets look totally seamless. Anyway, if you have your cabinets and could provide any insight I'd surely appreciate. Good luck with your renovation!

    Best,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete