Friday, May 25, 2012

Crowdsourcing the Tile Decisions

We've been hemming and hawing over the tile decisions.  We've purchased four boxes of white subway tile and some mastic, along with a tile cutter and a notched trowel, and ...

They are still sitting in the corner of our kitchen. 

To be fair, we've had a couple of insanely busy weekends, with nary a moment to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee, much less start tiling backsplashes.  The last thing either of us wants to do when we get home from work on, say, a Tuesday, is start a DIY home improvement project that neither of us has any idea about.  Yes, I'm sure it's pretty easy once you get going, but it's the "getting going" part that has us a little wary.  Drew has further declared that he wants to tile with "someone who can actually help" instead of his increasingly off-balance wife.  I told him I could still climb on counters and he told me I was crazy.  Harumpf.  So if you are "someone who can actually help" in the Greater Boston area, I will ply you with all the beer and pizza you can handle (or with whatever food/beverage combo your heart desires) to come help Drew tile our kitchen.  Also everlasting gratitude.  Bonus points if you have ever tiled a wall before.  

Anyway. 

The final reason we haven't started tiling yet is that we're not entirely sure what sort of aesthetic we're going for, particularly on the large wall behind the sink.  To refresh your memory, the space will be tiled to some degree and there will be open shelving along the length of the wall.  We're thinking nicely stained/polyurethaned wood with wrought iron brackets for the open shelving but haven't decided whether we want two shelves or three.  


This photo is pre-countertops and sink, but you get the idea.  There is also some funny business to deal with on the left:


Notice the trim piece that sticks out and that weird box.  Also how the ceiling is super crooked where it meets the wall.  (Some of that is uneven paint, but not all of it.)

Do we tile all the way to the ceiling and shave tiles as necessary to get a good fit?  Do we stop several inches short?  If so, do we finish with offset tiles or do we use border pieces?  How do we butt the tiles up against the door frame?  Border or not?  If the tile extends above the door frame, how do we deal with that?  The only tile-placement decision I've made for certain is that the tiles in the corner by the sink will just smash up against that wall - half tile, whole tile, partial tile, whatever - they'll just be right in the corner with no border or anything.  

And then there are the grout decisions.  White grout?  Dark grout?  Medium grout?  We have black grout on hand from when we regrouted the bathroom but I'm not opposed to white or gray either.  

So, in the spirit of the modern age, I've decided to ask YOU (whoever you are) what you think we should do.  I've assembled the photos below courtesy of Apartment Therapy's helpful and timely article, "10 Inspiring Uses of Subway Tile in the Kitchen."  They really capture the range of options.

Here's your assignment:  After you've put your creative minds to work, please help us make some decisions!  Leave your comments ON THE BLOG (not on Facebook, s'il vous plait) and we will sort through all the pearls of wisdom and make some choices.  To recap, we are wondering: 

1. What color grout to use
2. How high the tiles should go behind the open shelving
3. How to deal with the edging near the door and above the door
4. Whether to cap off the highest row of tile with a border or leave it plain

White grout, tile ends at the ceiling, no border on the top or edge

This is NOT subway tile, but whatever.  Darker grout and what looks like a quarter round border at the top.
Also notice their left edge is totally unfinished.

Darker grout, no top border, tile ends several inches below the ceiling.
Also, these brackets have the aesthetic we're after for the open shelving.

Darker grout, ends with a border at the top, butts right up against the window frame with no border.

Ends below open shelving, no border at the top, slightly darker grout,
wraps around to the adjacent wall (where I don't see a border, but I could be wrong).

I'm also not sure if I would call this subway tile, but it's still cool.
Lighter grout (though maybe not white?) and no borders anywhere.  

No borders, darker grout, ends above one shelf and below the other.
Also, these people have a real thing for eggs and egg cups.  And carbs.

White grout, tile everywhere, no borders.

I can't really tell whether the tile ends at the beam with a border or whether the beam goes over the tile, but these people also have a trim piece that sticks out. 

Border at the top, darker grout, no borders on the sides.
Also, this is the tone of wood shelving we're thinking about. 

So there you have it.  Please help us!


5 comments:

  1. As a non-tiling expert, I can only offer my sympathies and admiration on the technique portion. On the question of "what I think looks pretty," I extend the following feedback: to me, the partial tiling in these photos looks a bit unfinished and I love the clean and gleaming look of tiling all the way to the top or nearly to the top (though if the ceiling is uneven, stopping a bit early may keep your sanity better intact). I like the clean lines look of 1 & 3. On the question of grout, I think it partially depends on the finish of your tile. If they are really shiny, white or slightly darker would seem to be a good fit. But if they have a slightly more matte look (like in 7 - which is really pretty) I think the slightly darker/brown grout gives it more of a French country look - which I like too. I like the overall look of 9 - it reminds me most of your kitchen. I'm sure whatever you pick will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen (of Jen & Mel)May 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM

      Also, the finishing tiles at the top don't do anything for me - I kind of like it better without

      Delete
  2. OK, well, here are my thoughts (because as you know, I ALWAYS have them, hahaha).

    1. What color grout to use: Personally I am a fan of crisp white. I think it helps blend the tile with the room more seamlessly. However, if you are going for a more dramatic look, I'd go with a dark grout for contrast, perhaps a dark gray or black, which would be contemporary and complement your TEAL WALLS WHICH I COVET. :)

    2. How high the tiles should go behind the open shelving: I say all the way to the ceiling. Doing a half wall draws your eye to that space where the wall meets the tile. And then you are left wondering, "hmm, what's supposed to go there?". Again, I'm claiming go for the seamless look, the calm look, and the look that will complement YOUR TEAL WALLS WHICH I COVET! (see where I'm going with this?)

    3. How to deal with the edging near the door and above the door: Easy. If you use subway tile, just cut it to go around the edging. Done.

    4. Whether to cap off the highest row of tile with a border or leave it plain: if you go all the way to the ceiling, no need to use a border. Or, you can install crown moulding at the very top and then tile up to the bottom of that. If you go with a half wall or a 3/4 wall, or any other not-to-the-top wall, I'd use a simple border so it looks more finished. Particularly against your TEAL WALL THAT I COVET!

    Love you guys, ~ Tasha

    P.S. tiling a wall is a cinch once you get started. It's SUPPOSED to be messy. Just make sure you wipe up any grout drops before it hardens and go one small area at a time so your grout doesn't dry before you're able to adhere all the tile onto it. Also, drink. Because as easy as it can be to tile a wall, it also usually involves several curse words along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed that I used "which" and "that" in virtually the same sentences. I've had a couple of glasses of wine tonight, which have clearly affected the grammar gland in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote is to tile up to the bottom of your shelves, no border. I think it would look lovely to have the teal popping out from behind those shelves, contrasting with the tile below. It'll look great regardless, so many options!

    ReplyDelete