Thursday, October 21, 2010

"Gelato is the fine wine of frozen desserts"

All right readers, first I have to clear my name. I was the driver that made the wrong turns, the u-turn in the construction zone, and who executed the "pretty poor parking job." Thanks for throwing me under the bus, questing buddy. BUT, the getting lost was not my fault (my navigator gave me faulty directions), the police officer in the construction zone could not have cared less about my u-turning, and the parking job was as good as could be expected when there was freaking gelato to be eaten. Ahem. Back to the real purpose for my post, which is to wax poetic about the tastiest gelato this side of Firenze.

To start: the flavors. On the left, we have kday's cup of peanut butter straciatella gelato (on top) and chocolate gelato (hiding). In the middle is Drew's cup with apple cider sorbetto (on top) and mocha chip gelato on the bottom.  On the right, we have my fall-themed choices, cinnamon (on top) and pumpkin pie (hiding). Kday already gave you her thoughts on her flavors and I don't want to steal Drew's thunder, so I will try my best to stick to my own flavors here but - let's be honest - we did a lot of sharing.

I've never been sure how I feel about cinnamon flavored things (the fault of Big Red gum) and have always felt that cinnamon lends itself better to warm items than to cold ones, but the woman in front of me in line had just ordered a whole quart of cinnamon gelato, which made me think it must be pretty tasty. So I ordered it. After my first bite, I knew that my feelings on cinnamon had changed. Do you know how sometimes, when you're eating inartfully made apple pie, you can feel the cinnamon specks on your tongue? And how when there's too much cinnamon in something, you feel the immediate need to brush your teeth? This gelato wasn't like that at all (obviously). It was smoother than smooth, not too sweet, but also not too cinnamony. It made me envy the Eskimos and all those words they have for ice - there just aren't any words in the English language to describe how delicious this stuff was. And then I got to the pumpkin pie gelato, which had two equally delightful parts: pumpkin gelato (again, perfect consistency, not to sweet) and bits of actual pumpkin pie. The whole thing was an autumnal explosion. Delicious.

The thing that really set this gelato apart from the rest of the stuff we've tasted (even more than the quirky yet perfectly executed flavors) was the texture. Angelato says: "To enjoy your gelato to the fullest, try pulling your spoon through the product. At the correct serving temperature your gelato should be soft enough that you can do this easily, but not so warm that it is melting." I dragged my spoon through my gelato and it was perfection. The death-by-chocolate at Piattini was too runny, kday's chocolate peanut butter at Piattini was too cold, and all the stuff that dripped all over our pants in the north end was also too drippy. Angelato though, true to their educational materials, had the perfect texture. I'll never be a wine connoisseur, but I will be a gelato connoisseur - Angelato also says that "gelato is the fine wine of frozen desserts."

So thank you Angelato. Even though I am a disaster who can't park and who gets lost on Greenough Boulevard and breaks laws with impunity in front of police officers, you came through for us. You are the clear winner in my book (pending completion of the quest, but probably the clear winner anyway).






Oh - I almost forgot. Each cup cost three dollars.

Yeeeaahhh!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment